During the past few months there have been many new home purchases, first time home purchases, changing apartments, and lifestyle changes that necessitate moving. Moving is often a difficult and potentially stressful undertaking; COVID -19 is only adding to the challenges. Here are points to consider to help you navigate a move during the pandemic.
Who is going to help with the move?
- In the past, many people have relied on friends and family to help with a move. Take their health and safety into consideration when decided who may be able to help.
Using a professional moving company:
- Moving companies are essential businesses and have remained open. They most likely have to adhere to local safety protocols but it’s best to call and find out what they are doing. Here are some question to ask them:
- Can you get virtual estimates?
- Do they require employees to wear masks?
- Are there screening procedures for their health?
- How are they sanitizing their hands and equipment?
- How do they practice distancing?
- Do they limit the number of people present during the packing and pick up processes?
- Is tipping via credit card or Venmo is an option?
- Will you pack and unpack your own items or hire a full-service company to do everything?
- Always get multiple quotes and use professional, licensed companies
- Keep a mask and sanitizer with you but you don’t need to go overboard, just disinfect high touch surfaces
- The mode of transportation depends on the distance, your budget, and what you’re bringing with you. Many airlines have mask policies so be sure to find out what they are ahead of time
- Getting rid of unwanted items
- Some donation places are closed. Reach out through your personal and social networks for places that are accepting or people in need. You may be able to sell items on Facebook Marketplace or apps like LetGo
We can recommend trusted vendors to help with your moving process. Contact us for all your Property Management needs by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (808) 593-9826.