Living in Hawaii, we are fortunate enough to have beautiful weather nearly year-round. Around this time, many people are thinking about preparing their home for the change in season. Although we don’t have as drastic a change as others, there are still things we can do around the house to transition out of summer. The focus isn’t as much about weather preparation as organization; just as kids have back to school supply checklists, here is a back to school home maintenance and organization checklist.
- Check smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors and replace batteries if needed. Also check fire extinguishers.
- Clean air and HVAC filters after high usage during the summer.
- Check on spots where insects could come in and seal them or spray for bugs.
- Clean windows and check for tears in screens.
- Attend to plants that may be affected by the changes in weather and the increase in rain.
- Deep clean the kitchen and bathrooms. See our past blogs for how to clean the washing machine and dyer and cleaning counters and the garbage disposal.
- If you do have kids, their activities and needs will have changed, and you’ll have to swap beach towels and boogie boards for backpacks and sports equipment. Have a designated area for their things so they don’t end up all over the house.
- Re-organize your garage to accommodate changes in the season and activities.
- Throw out what hasn’t been used in two years.
- Two coats of an epoxy paint will make the garage floor easier to keep clean and protected against oil and grease stains.
- For properties you rent, consider touch ups like new paint and cleaned or updated carpets for new renters who will come in the fall.
Please call us at (808) 593-9826 to discuss our Property Management Concierge Services and how Caron B Realty can help you manage your property and keep it in great condition year-round.